Policy on Committees/Workgroups
A. The Council seeks to develop an active membership of people with developmental disabilities, their family members and agency representatives who will work together to further the independence, productivity, integration and inclusion of people with developmental disabilities.
B. This policy intends to assure that members appointed to the Council will actively participate in the work of the Council by participating on a committee or workgroup, and that the Council will provide the support necessary for members to fulfill their roles.
The only standing committee of the Council shall be the Executive Committee. An ad-hoc Nominating Committee will be appointed when necessary.
2. The Council Chairperson may establish such other workgroups as deemed necessary or desirable to carry out Council responsibilities.
3. Each Committee/workgroup will be chaired by a member of the Council who is an individual with a developmental disability or family member, and efforts will be made to appoint individuals with developmental disabilities or family members to at least 50% of all Committee/workgroup positions.
4. Committees/workgroups may request the Council Chairperson to add non-Council members to committees/workgroups as ex-officio members if such persons have experience and knowledge which would be helpful to a particular committee/workgroup. Ex-officio members may not vote and have no official standing on the Council.
B. Roles and Responsibilities
1. The responsibility of each committee/workgroup, in relation to
its subject area, shall be to:
a. collect and analyze information regarding the needs of people with developmental disabilities and the effectiveness of service programs in meeting those needs;
b. develop policies, positions and initiatives intended to enhance the delivery of supports and services;
c. initiate and oversee grant projects and sponsored programs to carry out the priorities of the Council;
d. conduct activities to raise public awareness regarding the needs and issues of people with developmental disabilities;
e. solicit the opinions and participation of people with developmental disabilities and their family members regarding disability issues.
III. Executive Committee
1. In addition to the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Council, the Executive Committee will be composed of four members elected by the Council through the normal nominating process for two year, staggered, terms. In the event the Immediate Past Chairperson is still a Council member, he/she will be an ad-hoc member of the Executive Committee.
B. Roles and Responsibilities
1. The role of the Executive Committee will be to oversee the work of the Council.
2. The Committee will meet in the months between quarterly Council meetings to conduct business of the Council which arises between meetings and to review committee/workgroup recommendations.
3. The Executive Committee will be responsible for assisting the Council Chairperson in completing an annual evaluation of the Executive Director.
4. The Executive Committee shall have the authority to approve expenditures up to $2000 that arise between Council meetings. Such expenditures shall be supportive of the goals of the State Plan.
IV. Council Support
A. Each committee/workgroup shall be supported by a Council staff person.
B. Committee/workgroup meetings, activities and materials shall comply with the Council’s Policy on Accessibility.
C. Governor appointed Council members may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred (including expenses for child care and personal assistance services) while in attendance at meetings. Meals and mileage expenses incurred shall be reimbursed in accordance with prevailing in-state reimbursement schedules for State employees.
D. Members may participate in committee/workgroup meetings by telephone when this is more convenient.
E. Governor appointed Council members shall be eligible for reimbursement of telephone expenses incurred when conducting Council business.
F. Receipts are required for reimbursement of expenses.