Resources for Adults with Developmental Disabilities

Family Support, Education and Advocacy

West Virginia Advocates, Inc.
- State designated protection and advocacy program for West Virginians with disabilities and their families.

Phone: (304) 346-0847 (V/TTY) 1-800-950-5250



WV Emergency Medical Services Technical Support Network (WV EMS TSN):  Non-profit corporation that provides programmatic support and technical assistance to the WV Office of EMS. TSN is funded by both Federal grants and state appropriations. The WV EMS TSN also operates the Hartley and Medley Advocacy Project:


Phone: (304) 965-0573

Fax: (304) 965-0542



West Virginia Family Support Program, Bureau for Behavioral Health and Health Facilities - Statewide service to assist families in accessing childcare, home modifications, transportation and other needed supports and services. The Family Support Program provides leadership in family-centered and family-driven service coordination and planning.


Phone: (304) 558-0627

Fax: (304) 558-1008

Program Coordinators


Parent Empowerment Network (PEN) - E-mail community of parents with disabilities, people with disabilities who hope someday to become parents, and (where applicable) nondisabled partners of parents with disabilities. It is a means of connecting with other parents, through an electronic mail listserver.  Training, information and referral services to parents who have disabilities and their families can also be obtained through this network.


Phone: (304) 391-2697

Fax: (304) 292-5217


Office of Social Services - Support services for families and children including protective services, adoption, legal assistance, financial assistance, child care and other supports.


Phone: (304) 558-0650

Fax: (304) 558-4577 Abuse Hotline: 1-800-352-6513




Senior Services

Bureau of Senior Services, Long Term Care Ombudsman - Provides advocacy and rights protection/education for residents of nursing homes, personal care homes, board and care homes and other facilities.


Phone: (304) 558-3317



Senior Centers - Senior Centers are the designated focal points for services most needed by seniors.  Each Senior Center has a wide range of programs tailored for the mature adult.  You will find plenty of activities for people on the go and supportive services to help maintain independence.  Travel, education, and recreation are based on your interests.


Region I:  Lee Jones, Ritchie County Integrated Family Services, 304-643-4941

Region II:  Chuck Ricks, Roane County Committee on Aging, 304-927-1997

Region III:  Becky Poe, Randolph County Committee on Aging, 304-636-4747

Region IV:  Jack Tanner, Raleigh County Commission on Aging, 304-255-1397



WV Aging and Disability Resource Centers – Professionally trained staff available to answer questions about services and supports available throughout WV to help you or a loved one remain at home and active in the community for as long as possible.  They can also assist in accessing or applying for those resources and navigating the long-term care system.


Phone: 1-866-WVS-ADRC or end_of_the_skype_highlighting1-866-987-2372




ADA Information Center for the Mid-Atlantic Region - Free consultation and advise regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act including information about specific Titles and Subtitles, definitions, regulations, compliance standards and enforcement. Technical assistance with state and local governments, businesses and legal entities.


Phone: 1-800-949-4232 (V/TTY)



Centers for Independent Living

West Virginia Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) - Governor appointed Council with representatives from advocacy, State regulatory and other agencies as well as persons with disabilities to carry out the mandates of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Majority of voting members of the SILC have disabilities. Activities include community and systems advocacy, self-advocacy training, information and referral and linkage to specialized supports including personal assistance services and assistive/adaptive equipment.


Phone: (304) 766-4624 (voice/ TDD)


Mountain State Centers for Independent Living - Assistance to individuals with disabilities to learn about individual and systems advocacy, information and referral, peer support, skills development, personal assistance services, housing, transportation and other supports.


Phone: Huntington - (304) 525-3324
Beckley - (304) 255-0122
Sistersville - (304) 652-2116


Appalachian Center for Independent Living - Benefits assistance, self and systems advocacy training, information and referral, peer support, skills development and other services.


Phone: Charleston - (304) 965-0376 - or - 1-800-642-3003

Spencer - (304) 927-4080


West Virginia Northern Center for Independent Living - Housing assistance, information and referral, skill training, family support, self and systems advocacy training.

Phone: Morgantown - (304) 296-6091 - or -1-800-834-6408


Martinsburg - (304) 267-0005 or in Charles Town - (304) 725-6473

Elkins - (304) 636-0413


Medicaid, Social Security and Other Entitlement Programs


WV Bureau for Medical Services - Administers the Federal/State Medicaid program. Assistance with eligibility and enrollment information. Access to Medicaid services including inpatient, outpatient, adaptive equipment, dental, physician, nursing, behavioral health, pharmacy and other services.


Phone: (304) 558-1700



Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services - National information service that provides information about Medicaid and Medicare services, laws and regulations.


Phone: (410) 786-3000



Social Security Administration - Information and assistance with accessing Social Security benefits including Social Security Income (SSI) and Medicare.


Phone: 1-800-772-1213



Housing, Employment, Community Supports and Services


U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - Financial support and assistance in home rental or ownership. Disaster relief, home improvement loans, supportive housing for the elderly and other services for eligible low income citizens.


Phone: (304) 347-7000 / TTY (304) 347-5332



West Virginia Home of Your Own Program - Counseling, assistance and support to people with disabilities who want to become homeowners. Legal and financial planning services.

Phone: (304) 624-3641 - The ARC of Harrison County


Fair Housing Project: Northern West Virginia Center for Independent Living - Information and training to persons with disabilities on housing laws and regulations, how to assess housing units for compliance and how to proceed if units are not in compliance.


Phone: (304) 296-6091 or 1-800-834-6408



Job Accommodation Network (JAN) - Consultation, assistance with job accommodation rights and information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).


Phone: 1-800-526-7234 (V/TTY)



West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services - Statewide programs and services offered to persons with disabilities that include vocational training, job placement, independent living skills training, assistive technology services, referral services, medical services, personal adjustment and driver education.


Phone: 1-800-642-8207



Bureau for Behavioral Health and Health Facilities - Family Support, crisis services and community case management. Supports and assistance in accessing community mental health and substance abuse treatment. Aging, faith-based initiatives, vocational supports, policies and regulations.


Phone: (304) 558-0627

Fax: (304) 558-1008



Title XIX ID/DD Home and Community-Base Waiver Program - Community service coordination, respite, residential habilitation, community residential habilitation, adult companion services, environmental accessibility adaptations, medical and psychological services, nursing , day habilitation, supported employment and transportation services. Information about application process and eligibility. Program manuals are available by contacting the local behavioral health center or the State MR/DD Waiver Office.


Phone: (304) 800-461-0655 or 304-380-0617       

Fax: (304) 343-9010



Bureau of Senior Services - Transportation, nutrition, in-home care, legal assistance, employment, health insurance counseling and assistance for residents of nursing homes and personal care homes. The Medicaid Aged and Disabled Waiver and Medicare programs.


Phone: (304) 558-3317

Toll Free: 1-877-987-4463 (SHINE-Senior Health Insurance Network)



West Virginia University Center for Excellence in Disabilities - Training and research. Information and referral for positive behavior support, Specialized Family Care Program, assistive technology, family training, person centered planning, specialized medical and nutritional supports and inclusion of persons with disabilities in higher education.


Phone: (304) 293-4692



West Virginia Olmstead Office - State plan to implement the U.S. Supreme Court Decision that found that "unjustified segregation and institutionalization of people with disabilities constitutes unlawful discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)." State plan seeks to assist people in nursing homes, group homes and public and private institutions to relocate to community based settings.


Phone:(304) 558-3287



Assistive Technology


West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS) - Information and referral, toll-free hotlines, funding, training and education about AT devices and services. The WVATS is a project funded in part through the Technology-Related Assistance for Individuals Act.

Phone: Voice and TDD - (304) 293-4692 or 1-800-841-8436



Partnerships in Assistive Technologies (PATHS) - Coalition of West Virginia agencies and organizations interested in increasing the availability of and access to assistive technology. Technical assistance, training, information and referral and systems change initiatives.


Phone: 1-800-841-8436


ABLEDATA - Information, resources, research, support and training about assistive technology. Publications and consumer product reviews. Nationwide database.


Phone: 1-800-227-0216



Information Technology Technical Assistance and Training Center - Organization that promotes the development of accessible electronic and information technology by providing technical assistance, training and educational services. Informational workshops, conferences and AT related publications.


Phone: Toll Free - 866-9-ITTATC (948-8282) Voice and TTY



National Rehabilitation Information Center - Information and referral service including access to database of more than 70,000 assistive technology products and resources. Education about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), advocacy projects and funding.


Phone: 1-800-346-2742




West Virginia Division of Natural Resources -
Disability services and information about access to fishing and hunting areas. Parks and forest information, fishing and hunting licenses for persons with disabilities. Trout stocking schedules, camping facilities, boating information and Adopt-A-Highway program.


Phone: (304) 558-2754



West Virginia Division of Tourism - Lodging, restaurants, attractions and events around the state.  Accessibility information for public parks. Snow sports, white water rafting, biking and walking trails.


Phone: 1-800-CALL-WVA



National Center on Accessibility - Organization committed to full participation in parks, recreation and tourism by people with disabilities. Education, technical assistance, research and information and referral. Information on key legislation including the Architectural Barriers Act , Rehabilitation Act, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards.


Phone: (812) 856-4422 TTY: (812) 856-4421



The National Park Service - Federal bureau in the Department of the Interior responsible for the protection of national parks, monuments, rivers, reservations and other lands. Accessibility resources and assistance.


Phone: (202) 208-6843